Monday, October 22, 2012

Our trip to Washington DC, the Air and Space Museum






Last week we went to Washington D C with our friends Jim and Phyllis Lipp.  We had a lot of fun and a couple of adventures.  I am going to start writing about them now as I go through the pictures I took last week.  We went to a lot of museums, memorials, Arlington Cemetery, the White House, Capitol and Fed.  By the time we hit Friday afternoon, we were TIRED, not a little tired, all caps tired.  But we had seen everything we set out to see when we planned the trip and a couple of extra places as well.  
There are actually two locations for the Air and Space Museum.  The one I visited is on the Mall and is home to the Wright Brothers plane and to the Spirit of St. Louis.  The other location is Udvar-Hazy at Dulles Air Port.  Ray and Jim went out to see that one day.  After visiting the one on the Mall, Phyllis and I were not of a mind to look at anymore airplanes. 
The museum is huge and the fact that it has such important pieces of  history like the Spirit of St. Louis is amazing.  The planes look like they would fly away today.  Personally I was more impressed with the yellow stagger wing Beechcraft or Amelia Earhart's plane.  I guess that is an indicator of where my interests go. 
We stayed out in Sterling Virginia and rode the Metro into DC each day.  By the end of the week we were getting pretty good at it.  We could sit and stare into space like a native.  I think it is a coping mechanism for being smashed into small spaces with strangers. 
I really like visiting DC, the people were all nice, but that old phrase pops up.  I would not want to live there.  It is expensive.  Even out in the suburban communities it appears that more people live in apartments than they do in single family homes.  The single family homes we saw for the most part were enormous and even the smaller ones sell for amounts that stop you cold.  A house like our would sell for well over a million dollars.  What do ordinary people do?  I would say they rent apartments that aren't all that cheap either. 
Our friends oldest daughter and her family live there and they love it. So it must be just me that finds the charm elusive.
The other choice seems to be live far out and really have a long commute.  We went to Leesburg Virginia one evening for dinner and I really liked it there, but still expensive by this old woman's standards.  Now that I have this off my chest, I will talk more about the cool stuff as I continue to post.

No comments: