Saturday, September 21, 2013

Just like an old girlfriend

We had stopped in Tularosa for a bathroom break and to buy some pecans.  At our age the bathroom breaks are an important part of the travel planning.  While Brenda and I were doing other things, Ray happened to notice this 1955 Mercury in the parking lot.  Most people would just admire the very well preserved vehicle and go on their way.  However, seeing this vehicle meant much more to Ray than an admiring look over.   Ray's car when he came to Wichita to go to WSU in 1964 was a duplicate of this one.  I know this, because this is the car he drove when we started dating.  It looks the same, even down to the strange green color of the interior.  I do have to say that this car is in better shape than Ray's was 49 years ago.
Over the years I have made the comment that I didn't fall in love with Ray because of his car.  To be honest Mercury never had the cult following that the 1955 Chevrolet did.  But looking at this car, I will have to admit that it wasn't as bad as I thought it was when I was 18.

No comments: