Monday, December 31, 2012

My word for 2012

I chose the word appreciate for my word of the year for 2012.  It is easy to say you appreciate all that you have, we do it all the time.  However, I wanted to be more cognizant of the many aspects of my life that I never fully appreciated.
In looking back, I tried to appreciate the gift of each day we were given.  So many bad things happen in the work or your time just runs out.  The ability to recognize each day as a period of time to use for anything we wish is something I tried to be more aware of and not just let my time drain away.
I don't think I have been as appreciative of the people in my life as I wanted to be.  My husband, children, grand children and friends all are part of what makes me grateful for my life.  I try to be flexible with the traits that make folks who they are, but I still have those moments where I mentally stomp my feet and shake me fist.  The problem is me, no one else.
I am certain that I have pretty well learned to appreciate my home and my circumstances.  I don't need a bigger house, or new furniture or a different car, I like what I have.  Envy, is less a part of my life, and what there is of it is usually gone in a flash.
Last of all I have learned to appreciate my faith.  I can talk to people more readily about what I believe.  I used to feel like a fraud and that I was just talking about stuff I didn't really know, but I appreciate the gift of confidence.
My word for 2013 is learn.  I am 65 years old, but I still don't know a lot of important stuff.  I am going open myself up to learn and change if necessary.

No comments: