Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day Two

I have completed two days of having a daughter in law.  It is more of a concern having a daughter in law than it was when I acquired Nick as a son in law.  As I think about it, I think part of the concern is that I was a daughter in law for so long.  My relationship with Pauline was different and far from perfect.  I do have to be clear that we did not have a bad relationship.  I loved her and and I think she probably was fond of me as well.  I didn't like her a lot of the time though.

With that in the back ground, I want Theresa to like me.  I don't want to be overbearing or bossy or thoughtless or any of the things women complain about when we get together and talk.  I always envied my friends who had the husband whose mother was fun, interesting and a good friend to her son's wife. 

How do you get to be that person?  I have no idea.  It sounds a lot like raising kids doesn' it?  You just do the best you can and be yourself.  At least that is what I am going to try to be.  I made my little mother in law statement today, just like I did to Nick. " I will always tell you what I think.  If you don't do it, I won't be bent out of shape, but I will always make my opinion known. " Everything else will be winging it. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have one of those NOT great relationship with my MIL. However, my Father-in-Law is remarried, and my STEP mother-in-law and I have a great relationship... And I think the difference is that Stepmom treats me like a person, a friend... not just her "son's wife". She calls me, she talks to me, she takes an interest in ME, not just my family connection.