Friday, May 6, 2011

Completion of a goal in sight.

I kept my 2011 goals simple this year.  I want to run a 5K and master the teaser in Pilate's.  Since the first of the year I hadn't been training seriously enough to do a race, and the teaser remains sneeringly out of my capacity.  Truthfully, I was thinking that inertia would cancel out the goals altogether. Then Beth, our yoga instructor walked into the picture.  There is a senior run for adults over forty, (fits us)  on the 25th of May.  Yesterday, she tells Ray we should do it.  He tells me, and so having been given the motivation I  sent the entries off.

At this point  I have to say, I will be running, Ray will be walking.  He isn't to the running three mile stage yet.  Once he retires, who knows.

Having signed up to do this, now I have to start running seriously, outside.  Most of the time I am a wimp and run inside where I don't have to deal with weather, dogs, other inconveniences.  The distance isn't a problem.  I can run 3.1 miles easily, but I don't run fast. You lose time running outdoors and this morning it looked like I lost five minutes at least from my regular time.  I have work to do. 

I am not complaining.  As a matter of fact, I am sort of excited.  Until I have completed this first run, I can entertain fantasies of how wonderful I will be.  The reality is that I will be doing this race to finish, not to compete.  If I was going to name my nightmare fantasy,  it would be to have the walkers who start a half hour later finish before me.

There is going to be food and drinks afterwards at Botanica, so I will have to be sure to take my camera.  I will also have to make sure Nicole comes up to take my picture.  That will be a page to scrap, the gray haired boomer running her first race at 64.  No body else has to think it is cool, I do.

2 comments:

CK Photo said...

I think it is very cool.

Unknown said...

Oh, you are sooooo my hero for doing this!! I can run approx .3 of a mile! YAY YOU!!