Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A minor set back in my goals

I had thought I would be here tonight talking about the successful completion of my first 5K.  That is not going to happen.  The weather has been awful, and it was just cold enough, just wet enough and just windy enough for Ray and I to decide we would not go  tonight. 

I spent the afternoon vacillating about going on and running.  When it finally came down to the decision there is one reason we decided not too.  That reason: "We don't have to do it."  I think that may be one of the most liberating things about getting older.  If the circumstances are such that we can decide not to do something without a negative side effect, we know we don't have to. 

I have spent a lot of time doing things when I was younger, because I HAD to, but I didn't want to .  Now I don't have the guilt trip, although I do admit that I still have to fight off the twinges.  I didn't run tonight, but I am going to run a race soon.  I just have to choose which one.  The River Run is coming up.  I didn't want to start with a big race, but I just might.

1 comment: