Friday, May 20, 2011

Last night

Last night I drove down to Wellington at 8:30.  My stepmother had called and told me that the ambulance had come and taken my father to the hospital after a fall in the bathroom.  When I got to the hospital emergency room, my Dad was in a bed waiting to see the doctor.  He was a mess, a gash on his forehead and blood all over the place.

Fortunately, after stitches and a CT scan that didn't turn up any internal problems he was able to go home.  He was shaky and dazed but OK for being 91 years old.  I got both of them back home and Dad into bed and was home by 10:30.  He had a doctors appointment today because he had been feeling bad and the doctor had said he was anemic.  My sister went down to go to the appointment so we can have a better picture of what is going on.

My sister just called and said that he was not able to get out of bed this morning, and the EMS came out again.  They helped her get him into her truck and got him to his doctor.  The Doctor has put him into the hospital again to check out his blood work, his back and  a couple of other things.  My sister says that he should not have been sent home last night.  So now it looks like he will be in the hospital for a couple of days until all the possible issues have been cleared.  I guess I am satisfied with this.  It is so difficult to know what is the right things to do in a situation like this.
I am certain that my Dad and Jaunita don't tell us all of what is going on with their health.  In their minds they have a good reason.  My sister and I both feel it is time for them to go into assisted living, and Jaunita especially does not want that.  The more we know about their health issues, the harder it is to have good arguments not to do this. 
Both my Dad and Step mom are in good health for their ages and in control of the mental abilities.  We cannot make them do anything.  To be honest, even bringing up the topic makes my step mother defensive.  I am hoping that this episode where she cannot get my Dad around by herself makes her think more seriously about living someplace that would have help close by.  It is for both of their well beings, and a source of reassurance to us.

No comments: